RE: PMD discussion

Hi Rich,

I think that the confusion comes from the discussion of the standard versus
one possible implementation.  It seems like you are trying to have one
implementation as the standard.

If I follow your arguement, then Serial 1550nm optics may meet the distance
objectives in the same way your LAN PHY + WIS may meet the WAN PHY
objectives.  However, these are not necessarily optimized for their
respective applications.

Your LAN PHY + WIS (with the WIS being in the transport equipment) is
putting a long interface (ie SERIAL LAN PHY) between the PCS and WIS (stack
diagram on Pg 4 of
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/bottorff_1_0500.pdf).

One may argue that this meets the objectives but it is not necessarily
optimized for applications that run over SONET infrastructure or "Optical
Network" equipment (which are actually based on SONET).

There may be options to where the WIS could be placed.  However, the
standard should not be such that it dictates where.  Vendors may achieve
Howard's Nirvana - LAN PHY, WIS, and SERDES in one device (p16 of
frazier_1_0300.pdf link enclosed below).

Regards,

Stuart