From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rich Taborek
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 9:35 PM
To: HSSG
Subject: Re: PMD discussion

Stuart,

I never said that that locating the WIS at the end of a LAN PHY was the ONLY
way
to connect 10 GbE to SONET. In fact, I used the word ALTERNATIVE in my
illustration. I believe its very important to point out all the alternatives
in
a standards process, it helps us meet the PAR's 5 criteria.

I'm just pointing out that the WAN PHY is not the ONLY way to provide SONET
compatibility. Alternatively, SONET compatibility can be achieved with the
simple and inexpensive LAN PHY and a WIS element used whenever it is needed.
It's the WIS that provides Ethernet-to-SONET layer 1 bridging, not the WAN
PHY.
I'm all for standardizing the WIS and leaving implementations, including the
WAN
PHY, out of the picture.

That said. I'll turn your argument right around on you. It makes more sense
that
way:

Currently, ALL Ethernet links that go into the WAN, or SONET do not employ a
WAN
PHY. Ethernet links to SONET are generally SONET, typically carrying
Packet-Over-SONET traffic. These links are typically much more expensive
that
their Ethernet counterparts. This leads to a strong desire to cost reduce
the
links.

The WAN PHY proposal supports 10 GbE LAN connectivity to SONET, but by
requiring
SONET-like (sorry, but a WAN PHY bears little if any resemblance to
Ethernet).
Doesn't the WAN PHY sound like a specific implementation to solve a simple
problem.

BTW, I'm having a difficult time with your argument with respect to the 1550
nm
PMD. I view 1550 nm in much the same way as the WAN PHY, a non optimal
solution
for SONET compatibility.

Let's also not confuse the issue. The WAN PHY is not intended for use over
the
SONET infrastructure. That's SONET's domain.

I heartily agree with your last statement: "There may be options to where
the
WIS could be placed.  However, the standard should not be such that it
dictates
where."

Are we perhaps in agreement?

Best Regards,
Rich

--
Stuart Robinson wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I think that the confusion comes from the discussion of the standard
versus
> one possible implementation.  It seems like you are trying to have one
> implementation as the standard.
>
> If I follow your arguement, then Serial 1550nm optics may meet the
distance
> objectives in the same way your LAN PHY + WIS may meet the WAN PHY
> objectives.  However, these are not necessarily optimized for their
> respective applications.
>
> Your LAN PHY + WIS (with the WIS being in the transport equipment) is
> putting a long interface (ie SERIAL LAN PHY) between the PCS and WIS
(stack
> diagram on Pg 4 of
> http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/bottorff_1_0500.pdf).
>
> One may argue that this meets the objectives but it is not necessarily
> optimized for applications that run over SONET infrastructure or "Optical
> Network" equipment (which are actually based on SONET).
>
> There may be options to where the WIS could be placed.  However, the
> standard should not be such that it dictates where.  Vendors may achieve
> Howard's Nirvana - LAN PHY, WIS, and SERDES in one device (p16 of
> frazier_1_0300.pdf link enclosed below).
>
> Regards,
>
> Stuart

and
> the
> same PHY, a LAN "UniPHY" if you will, may be used to achieve full SONET
> compatibility. MAC/PHY rate control is not issue between the two methods.
> understand how to implement it either way.
>
> Please point out the flaw(s) with the LAN UniPHY in supporting Ethernet
over
> SONET. Is it that there is a unwritten requirement for a WAN PHY to
support
> payloads other than Ethernet over SONET/SDH? I'd call any such
requirements
> out
> of the scope of IEEE 802.3.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rich
>
> --
>
> jay.hoge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > In order for the WAN PHY to do its job, it cann't use a line code or
else
> > the data rate will exceed that of OC-192. Scrambling anyone?
> >
> > Jay

> Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
> Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-395
> nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
> 2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com

--------

>    frazier_1_0300.pdf.urlName: frazier_1_0300.pdf.url
>                          Type: Internet Shortcut
(application/x-unknown-content-type-InternetShortcut)

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957