	From:  Booth, Bradley [SMTP:bradley.booth@xxxxxxxxx]
	Sent:  Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:06 PM
	To:  '802.3ae'
	Subject:  RE: PMD discussion

	I agree with Bruce that the shorter the list, the better for market
growth.
	As a system vendor, the division I work for builds adapters for the
server
	market.  One of the things that one of my largest customers will be
looking
	for is a minimum set of adapters that will cover the broadest range
of
	applications they will operate in.  They would like one SKU.  We
should be
	able to convince them to have two (one for LAN, and one for WAN).
We won't
	be able to convince them to carry more than two.

	If they come to me for a recommendation, I cannot in good conscience
tell
	them to choose the 850nm Serial because it will limit their
customers
	ability to use installed fiber.  My customer prefers to limit the
number of
	customer support calls, so we have to give them the broadest range
of fiber
	use.  They will ask us for a recommendation.  We're left to choose
between
	850nm WDM and 1310nm WDM.  For their target market and cost points,
that
	would limit it to 850nm WDM.

	Cheers,
	Brad

	Brad Booth
	Intel LAN Access Division, Austin Design Center
	bradley.booth@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:bradley.booth@xxxxxxxxx>
	(512) 407-2135 office
	(512) 589-4438 cellular