Re: PMD discussion

Tom,

Your note deserves a thorough answer. I regret that I won't have the time until
this weekend to address it thoroughly due to other pressing matters. I have
already touched on many of your issues in a note bearing the subject:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg02485.html, to this
reflector. Please see that note in the interim. I believe that you'll find many
of the answers you're looking for there.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Tom Alexander wrote:

> Rich,
>
> After spending some time thinking about your proposal to
> achieve Ethernet-to-SONET mapping by parking the WIS on
> the backside of a LAN-PHY within a Layer 1 LAN/WAN bridge,
> I regret to say that I cannot see how this would possibly
> work in the context of the current 802.3ae objectives.
>
> I refer you specifically to Slide 9 of the presentation
> you made at the May meeting, which shows a "WDM LAN->WAN
> via Layer 1 Bridge". Before discussing the diagram shown
> in the slide, I take the following statements as given:
>
>   - the LAN maximum sustained data rate is 9.87 Gb/s,
>     while the maximum payload rate of an STS-192c is
>     9.58 Gb/s. Thus packets will be dropped if packets
>     from a LAN PHY link are directly mapped into an
>     OC-192c payload without slowing down the LAN PHY link
>     somehow.
>   - the 802.3ae objectives do not provide for any form of
>     autonegotiation over the link. The proposed LSS does
>     not include speed negotiations, nor is it likely to
>     be able to do so with current coding schemes.
>   - it is highly desirable to perform the transformation
>     from native Ethernet to Ethernet-over-native-SONET
>     without queueing or packet drops (i.e., in an L1 bridge,
>     as you have shown in your slide).
>   - manual configuration of speeds at every MAC interface,
>     before it can be used, is highly undesirable.
>
> Consider the layer model on the left side of your slide 9.
> This is a LAN PHY. If this LAN PHY is connected to another
> LAN PHY, then it will transfer data at a maximum sustained
> rate of 9.87 Gb/s. In your diagram, it is indeed connected
> to another LAN PHY (in the Bridge); thus data will be sent
> across the link between the two LAN PHYs at 9.87 Gb/s max.
> However, this data is now being driven into a WIS. The WIS
> is an STS-192c framer, and can only accept a maximum rate of
> 9.58 Gb/s. In addition, the ITU-T PHY on the right side of
> the diagram is an OC-192 PHY, which constrains the WIS data
> rate. Hence packet drop must occur. The packet drop occurs
> at the interface between the center LAN PHY and the WIS.
>
> Clearly, in order for packet drop to not occur, the MAC on
> the left side must self-pace down to a data rate of 9.58
> Gb/s. However, this is a LAN PHY (no WIS) and so when it is
> attached to another LAN PHY it MUST transfer data at 9.87
> Gb/s. Thus either the MAC must somehow 'know' that the far
> side possesses a WIS, or the far side must flow control the
> LAN PHY.
>
> Case 1: the MAC 'knows' there is a WIS on the far side. I
> see no means of doing this within the scope of the objectives.
> If the MAC inspects the local PHY, it sees a LAN PHY, and
> naturally assumes a data rate of 9.87 Gb/s. Even if the MAC
> were somehow able to interrogate the remote end, it would
> still see another LAN PHY, and continue to send at 9.87 Gb/s.
> Note that the WIS is outside the boundary of the PHY in the
> figure. ("MAC" here implies "MAC + host CPU".)

> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com