Re: PMD discussion

[Date: 06/05/2000  From Seto]

Roy and Kamran,

Right or wrong, it has been my understanding the WWDM uses 8b10bx4ch coding.
Serial LAN PHY uses 64B66B coding.  WWDM is a different PHY.

It is also my understanding that WWDM LAN PHY, Serial LAN PHY and Serial WAN
 PHY are UniPHYs in a way it can share the same XGMII and the optional XAUI
interface.  Before WIS is introduced, LAN PHY and WAN PHY could not share
XAUI or XGMII because WAN PHY needed frame length information to encode a
frame.
To all, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,
Seto

> Roy,
>
> 	I have the same concern.
> CWDM uses a different code (8b/10b) than serial (64b/66b), the LAN-PHY and
> WAN-PHY
> have different denominations representing different 10GE PHYs (as per May
> meeting)
> resulting in 10 different PHYs LAN and WAN together!!
>
> What is UniPHY exactly?? What is it unifying anyway?
>
> Why are we forcing on the WAN-PHY a code that is bandwidth inefficient and
> incompatible
> with the SONET world?
>
> Kamran
>

> Roy Bynum wrote:
> >
> > Rich,
> >
> > Now I am confused.  It was my understanding that the LAN only PHY would
be using 64b/66b, just like what is being forced on the WAN
> > compatible PHY.  If so, then it was my understanding that the parallel/
CWDM PMD would also be 64b/66b.