Re: questions on PCS synchronization

Hi Erik,

You have touched upon some of the holes in those slides (my bad).
Having gone through one revision of a verilog implementation since
then,  let me try to answer your questions.
My replies are interspersed below.

>Hello,

>We've been taking a close look at the state diagrams in:
><http:grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/walker_1_0500.pdf>
>on pages 14, 16 & 17 and we've come up with some detailed questions.

>1) In the synchronization state machine, the only way to become
>synchronized
>is to wait for 64 continues frames with valid preambles and ensure that

>a good
>BER is met (ie: <16 preamble errors in 125us).  It has been mentioned
>that the
>32/64 preamble error signal was intended for synchronization purposes,
>and the hi_ber signal was meant to ensure a good BER.  But, the diagram

>shows that both kinds of errors will lead to the out of sync state
(this
>is ok - and a little redundant as only the BER signal would be needed).

>The question is this:  When a hi_ber causes loss of synchronization
(but
>there aren't 32/64 frames with invalid preambles) will the machine try
>and sync up to a new position for the preambles?

The m/c should sync up to a new position iff there are atleast
32 invalid syncs in 64 frames. Thus on hi_ber, the m/c should deassert
the
sync_done signal, and continue waiting till the hi_ber condition clears
or
atleast 32 invalid syncs  in 64 frames occurs - upon which condition it
should
try to reacquire sync.
This operation can be succintly captured in the following state diagram.

                            hiber
-------    ------------>   -------
| LOCK  |  /                                 | HIBER |
-------  < _____________ /   -------
    ^         \             ~hiber                   |
     |           \                                         |
     |              \  ______                        |  unlock
     |                 unlock  \                      |
     |  lock                       \                    |
     |                    unlock   \ -->         V
---------     --------->    --------
| UNLOCK |   /                           |  SLIP       |
---------    <---------     --------
     ^                        slip_done

   Start

lock      : signal is set high when there are 64 contiguous frames with
               valid sync patterns "01" or "10"
unlock  : Signal is set high if there are >=32 invalid sync patterns in
               64 contigues frames
hiber     : Set high if >= 16 invalid sync patterns in ~125us.

slip_done: Implementation dependant signal which tells that you can
resume
                  the sync acquisition process.

Also the sync_done variable is true iff the m/c is in LOCK state
  i.e. sync_done = (sync_state == LOCK) ? true : false

>2) In the TX state machine, shouldn't a requirement for leaving the
>I (initialization) phase be that tx_tobe_decoded = Z? (otherwise a
>non-error message would be transmitted when there would be an error)

You are right. This can be handled by eliminating the I state (even in
the RX state m/c) and on power  up or reset you enter the E state. Then
you will enter the Z state iff
initialize_done = true  && TYPE(tx_tobe_coded)=Z. (for TX)
sync_done = true  && TYPE(rx_tobe_decoded)=Z (for RX)

>3) The RX state machine in the Walker 64b/66b slide deck shows that
>rx_err <= rx_EFRAME_G in the T (termination) phase.  Shouldn't this
read
>rx_err <= rx_decoded so that if an error is found, the next phase
(being
>the error phase) will not send the MAC 2 error codes and no T code
(even
>though the T phase was valid) - but will send the T code followed by an

>error frame?

This is to handle the subtle error condition where we need to feed
forward
the error to kill the previous packet in order to maintain 3-bit
protection.
Thus after receving the T frame, you have to receive a clean Z frame for
the
previous packet to be considered valid.

To illustrate further, consider the scenario where you have the
following
data frames arrive:

01_DDDDDDDD   01_XDDDDDDD  01_DDDDDDDD
 Imagine there is a two bit error in the middle frame's sync bits  and
the bit pattern
in the data octet X just happens to encode a valid type byte which
indicates a
T frame (end of packet frame).
i.e this is what you receive:
01_UDDDDDDD  10_XDDDDDDD  01_VDDDDDDD
If we go through the rx state m/c from the time it received the middle
frame:

Step 1:
curr_state=D
rx_tobe_decoded = 10_XDDDDDDD
rx_decoded = DECODE(01_UDDDDDDD)
rx_err = rx_decoded = DECODE(01_UDDDDDDD)

TYPE(10_XDDDDDDD) = T

step 2:
curr_state=T
rx_to_gmii = DECODE(01_UDDDDDDD)
rx_tobe_decoded = 01_VDDDDDDD
rx_decoded = DECODE(10_XDDDDDDD)
rx_err = EFRAME_G

TYPE(01_VDDDDDDD) = D (therefore an error)

step 3
curr_state=E
rx_to_gmii  = rx_err = EFRAME_G (this kills the previous packet)
rx_decoded = EFRAME_G (errors out the current frame)
rx_err = rx_decoded = EFRAME_G

You continue to be in this E state till you get a clean Z frame.

Incidentally, by insisting on a clean Z frame before a S frame, we
again avoid getting fooled by another set of 3-bit errors.
e.g: What is sent is
10_SDDDDDDD  01_XDDDDDDD 01_DDDDDDDD
X is a data octet which has the bit  pattern of the type byte of a
Start of packet frame.
If there is a single bit error in sync bits of the first frame and a two

bit error in the sync of the second frame, there is a potential for
accepting the subsequant frames as a valid packet. This is avoided by
requiring a S frame to always be preceded by a Z-frame.

There is a typo in the slide:
rx_err <= rx_EFRAME_G
should read as
rx_err <= EFRAME_G

>4) Also, in the RX state machine, should loss of sync require that you

With the modification in the state diagram suggested for answer 2, the
loss of
sync should cause the decoder to go to the E state.

Regards
birdy