Re: Parallel fiber PMD

Hi Tom

Parallel Optics is very cost effective for short reach applications,  that's
why we chose it in IB. As the link distance increases beyond 50 m, the cable
cost overwhelms the total cost.

Parallel optics fits very well in the central office or computer room
applications with max link distance of 100 m.  The 802.3ae is choosing
3 PMD, but they are not preventing anyone from using parallel optics.
With Hari "XAUI" compatibility you will find parallel optics in central
office / Computer room regardless of 3PMD selection as long as it is
cost effective.

So my reading is the 3PMD is for outside the computer room.

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Sun Microsystems