Re: ONLY one ref multiplier?: PMA clock reference

Stuart,

You are absolutely correct, there are multiple issued being mixed into this
thread. Perhaps the best thing to do is to list them and then to separate this
thread according to the list. Here's my attempt at a list:

1) What interface signals should be specified for the XBI?
   Note that the XBI, like the XGMII and XAUI/XGXS would be an optional
interface.

2) If a XBI REFCLK is not specified as a required XBI signal should it be
specified at all?
   I believe that this was the root issue in this ever expanding thread.

3) 10 Gbps jitter specs. Includes sub issues like: Should jitter specs differ
for the LAN PHY and WAN PHY? Should they differ for 100 m links and 40 km links?
Should they differ for Serial and WDM versions? Note that this is an orthogonal
issue to the XBI since the XBI is a parallel interface for which jitter is not
relevant. Setup and hold times are relevant for the XBI.

I'll intersperse some direct responses to your note below.

Stuart Brorson wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I feel somehow compelled to join this conversation again -- for better or
> worse.
>
> It seems that we are trying to spec the ins and outs of an interface without
> considering the higher level requirement on the optical signal:  the jitter
> performance.
>
> People on this e-mail list have claimed that we can relax the SONET jitter
> specs for 10GigE since the links will only be point to point.  This may be
> true, but remember that it depends upon the ability of the receiver to lock
> onto the incoming data stream.  And remember that an optical signal
> transported over some distance (e.g. 40 km) picks up *significant* jitter
> because of mechanical vibrations in the fiber, laser wavelength fluctuations
> combined with fiber GVD, etc.  Therefore, before we adopt relaxed jitter
> specs, we need to know something about the desired fiber specs, Rx jitter
> tolerance, etc.

I cannot agree more. However, it should be noted that jitter specifications have
a cost, sometimes very high cost, associated with them. I question whether a
single set of jitter specifications is compatible with the P802.3ae 5 Criteria,
specifically economic feasibility. If the cost of 40 km 10 GbE link jitter
specifications adds an order of magnitude to the cost of a 100 m LAN links then
I would say that the standard is broke. Clearly, further discussion is required
to resolve this issue.

> If we need good Tx jitter performance, then a counter clocking architecture
> -- like that in the OIF spec (i.e. stable RefClk into SerDes, and Tx clock
> from SerDes to framer or MAC chip) -- is preferable.  This is because the
> stable clock directly drives the SerDes, facilitating a low jitter optical
> stream at the source.

I maintain that counter-clocking the parallel data bus, as in the OIF spec, is
unrelated to the jitter performance of the serial output. I don't believe that
counter-clocking is part of the SUPI proposal and that SUPI is being proposed as
an alternative to the OIF/XBI interface, is it not?

Counter-clocking, if properly implemented, simply supplies data source with a
clock which it returns to the multiplexer with data which is frequency locked to
the REFCLK. Jitter on the counter or data clock signals is irrelevant since all
data is latched and then serialized for transmission. Only setup and hold times
are relevant for the parallel data/clock interface (XBI).

Tx jitter performance is a factor of the cleanliness of the REFCLK, if present,
and if not present, to the jitter attenuation circuit which cleans up the data
clock. Whichever clock source is used to transmit data, that clock must be
further multiplied up to the WDM or serial output line rate. The clock
multiplier circuit is a major contributor to Tx jitter performance.

> An added advantage to counter clocking is that we can leverage chips already
> on the market which implement the OIF standard.  Re-use instead of
> re-invention is generally a good thing, unless there are important reasons
> that currently available chips are unsatisfactory for us (e.g. they are too
> expensive or have bad performance).

I am fully in favor of leveraging chips already on the market to enable early 10
GbE products. However, chips won't be going into the standard since they are
implementations. Interface specifications are going into the standard. Care must
be take to ensure that those specifications do not encumber the kind of
implementation innovation that has made Ethernet what it is today.

> If after due consideration we decide that good jitter performance is not
> required, then a simple forwarded clock scheme on the Tx side is sufficient.
> On the other hand, this scheme doesn't allow reuse of the SONET chips.  So
> why re-invent the wheel unless there are real reasons to do so?

Jitter performance must be specified in the standard. Clocking schemes will
likely not be since they are implementation dependent. It seems to me that
existing SONET chips will likely meet or exceed the eventual P802.3ae jitter
specs. I find it difficult to fathom that the committee will "tighten" SONET
specs for 10 GbE, further raising the cost of these already very expensive
components.

> Anyway, before simply specifying the signals on the SerDes, I think that we
> need to understand the jitter requirements better.

Yup. Agreed. Let's go to it!

Best Regards,
Rich

> Cheers,
>
> Stuart

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com