From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 2:52 PM
To: HSSG
Subject: Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Ben,

Thanks! I don't do well in the morning before I have my coffee, especially on
Sundays :-)

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Brown, Ben [BAY:NHBED:DS48]" wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Allow me to clean up a few editing errors to avoid confusion:
>
> Rich Taborek wrote:
> >
> > 1) No change to EOP column which contains the first 1 to 4 columns of the IPG.
> > Note that the EOP counts towards IPG.
>
> The EOP column contians the first 1 to 4 BYTES of the IPG.
>
> > 2) Transmit /A/ or /R/ randomly while maintaining minimum 16 column /A/ spacing.
>
> Transmit /A/ or /K/ randomly.
>
> Enjoy,
> Ben
>
> Rich Taborek wrote:
> >
> > Boaz,
> >
> > Your question is answered in a presentation made at the La Jolla meeting:
> > "8B/10B Idle Pattern for 12-byte IPG" by
> > Rich Taborek and Don Alderrou of nSerial,
> > http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/taborek_1_0700.pdf
> >
> > This proposal modifies the fixed starting /A/K/R/ Idle pattern for all
> > applications of 8B/10B encoded 4-lane streams was accepted into the set of
> > baseline proposals along with the core XAUI/XGXS proposal. The specific change
> > is as follows:
> >
> > 1) No change to EOP column which contains the first 1 to 4 columns of the IPG.
> > Note that the EOP counts towards IPG.
> > 2) Transmit /A/ or /R/ randomly while maintaining minimum 16 column /A/ spacing.
> > 3) Transmit /R/
> > 4) Transmit /K/, /R/ or /A/ randomly while maintaining minimum 16 column /A/
> > spacing until SOP detected.
> >
> > Note that this proposal works for IPGs as small as 9. Detailed state machines
> > are included at the end of the PDF file.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Rich
> >
> > --
> >
> > Boaz Shahar wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Steve,
> > > I have a question in regards to your presentation "Inter Packet Gap..." in
> > > the last meeting:
> > >
> > > You suggest to use only 2 columns of Idle as a minimum for IPG. In previous
> > > proposals (e.g.
> > > http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/taborek_2_0500.pdf
> > > slide 14) the suggested gap is a minimum of 3 columns-/A/, /K/, and /R/. So:
> > > Can you please say which of them should be eliminated, or define a procedure
> > > which say which type of Idle columns should be inserted?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Boaz

> Benjamin Brown
> Router Products Division
> Nortel Networks
> 1 Bedford Farms,
> Kilton Road
> Bedford, NH 03110
> 603-629-3027 - Work
> 603-624-4382 - Fax
> bebrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com