Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Tripathi,

Answers below:

Devendra Tripathi wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Two questions related to the state machines.
>
> 1. Can they be simplified somewhat ?

Absolutely. Please suggest any simplifications. Please note also that they don't
follow IEEE 802 conventions and need to be modified to do so. We'll take a stab
at those modifications for the first draft. I'd like to incorporate any and all
simplifications as well.

> 2. Is there any copyright issue with any of the machines ?

Not at all. They were intended to pictorially illustrate XAUI/XGXS operation to
provide the P802.3ae Task Force with all the tools necessary for evaluation of
the protocol.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

> Thanks,
>
> Tripathi.
>
> At 11:50 AM 7/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Boaz,
> >
> >Your question is answered in a presentation made at the La Jolla meeting:
> >"8B/10B Idle Pattern for 12-byte IPG" by
> >Rich Taborek and Don Alderrou of nSerial,
> >http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/taborek_1_0700.pdf
> >
> >This proposal modifies the fixed starting /A/K/R/ Idle pattern for all
> >applications of 8B/10B encoded 4-lane streams was accepted into the set of
> >baseline proposals along with the core XAUI/XGXS proposal. The specific change
> >is as follows:
> >
> >1) No change to EOP column which contains the first 1 to 4 bytes of the IPG.
> >   Note that the EOP counts towards IPG. (corrected -RT)
> >2) Transmit /A/ or /K/ randomly while maintaining minimum 16 column /A/
> >   spacing. (corrected -RT)
> >3) Transmit /R/
> >4) Transmit /K/, /R/ or /A/ randomly while maintaining minimum 16 column /A/
> >   spacing until SOP detected.
> >
> >Note that this proposal works for IPGs as small as 9. Detailed state machines
> >are included at the end of the PDF file.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >Rich
> >
> >--
> >
> >Boaz Shahar wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Steve,
> > > I have a question in regards to your presentation "Inter Packet Gap..." in
> > > the last meeting:
> > >
> > > You suggest to use only 2 columns of Idle as a minimum for IPG. In previous
> > > proposals (e.g.
> > > http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may00/taborek_2_0500.pdf
> > > slide 14) the suggested gap is a minimum of 3 columns-/A/, /K/, and
> > /R/. So:
> > > Can you please say which of them should be eliminated, or define a
> > procedure
> > > which say which type of Idle columns should be inserted?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Boaz
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Devendra Tripathi
> Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation
> 3100 De La Cruz Boulevard
> Santa Clara, CA  95054
> Phone: (408) 986-4380 Ext 103
> Fax:    (408) 986-6050
>
> Web:    http://www.vitesse.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com