Re: Break Link and Remote Fault

Ben,

I may start a dog fight with this comment but here goes.

I question why there needs to be so much effort to insert "break link and
remote fault" when OAM&P functionality was the primary purpose behind the
WAN compatible PHY.  There was a lot of argument about how to best go about
providing that OAM&P.  There was a MAJOR compromise to split the PAR into
two distinct PHY logics, one with OAM&P and one without.  Now I am seeing
an attempt to put OAM&P functionality into the PHY logic that originally
specifically excluded OAM&P.   I voted against LSS because the additional
complexity in a LAN is not needed.  If an implementation architecture
requires OAM&P, the WAN compatible PHY is available.  There should not be
any optical distinctions between the LAN PHY without OAM&P and the WAN
compatible PHY with OAM&P.  Given the major transfer bandwidth hit that was
forced on the WAN compatible PHY by a block coding PCS, OAM&P functionality
is one of the distinctions that provides customers with a clear decision
point.  I would recommend that the group take the failure of the group to
provide 75% support as an indication that this should be dropped and energy
spent on other things.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
A customer