Re: XGMII

Howard

About two years ago I chaired FC HS-PI group which defined the 2.5
Gb/s SerDes.  At the time, I was debating the parallel signaling between
HSTL and SSTL-2.  SSTL-2 probably was the right technology then.
Today with current state of of CMOS technology the choice certainly would
have been HSTL (1.5 V VDDQ) with 0.75 V swing instead of SSTL-2 (2.5 V)
supply.

In most applications XGMII will be internal to the ASIC, so may be it doesn't
matter what the signaling levels are or how many clock you have.  My
preference with XGMII is to have one clock on each direction.

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Sun Microsystems