802.3ae Connectors -- Is it possible to skip optical and focus on 10gE SFP housing/connector?

I'm fairly new to this forum and to 802, so if my comments below on
optical connector issues are off-the-mark, please forgive me.

I agree that spec-ing an optical connector will seriously delay
the production of the 10gE spec.  I also feel that producing the
spec without any connector will seriously delay adoption of the
spec.  I strongly feel that 802.3ae needs to have *some* kind
of standardized connector by the time the draft comes out so
that companies will start creating the infrastructure and customers
will start creating the demand for 10GbE products.

If there's too much at play to standardize an optical connector,
how about focusing instead on standardization of a 10GbE version of
an SFP housing and connnector to be ready by draft 1 of the spec?

That way, the variety of optical interface manufacturers can start on 10gE
SFP modules that will interface with 10gE systems but use whatever
type of combinations of transmission method/optical connector/media
that they wish to promote.

If spec-ing the 10GbE version of an SFP housing and connector has
already taken place, or is not possible for other technical reasons
I am not aware of, please excuse my not knowing the condition of
the 10gE standardization efforts and ignore these comments.

Dan Bezzant
ASIC/System Consulting and Electronic Product Design
Prequel, Inc.
email: dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: www.prequelinc.com
Tel. +1-925-426-7094