Re: Equalization

Dear colleagues,
(Vipul - I hope to answer some of your questions).

The 802.3 committee is very comfortable with Equalization techniques
being used to extend the bandwidth of the copper media
(100 Base-TX, 1000 Base-T). Similar techniques can be used to
extend the distance on MMF.

Using a first order linear model for fiber, we find that about 6-9 dB
of gain at 1.6GHz extends the 160 Km-Mhz MMF fiber to 300 meters
for the 4WDM solution at 850nm.
 A similar extension of distance will also be observed at
1310 nm. This is implementable in standard CMOS technologies, which
makes it a very low cost and attractive addition to the overall
solution.

Considering the effects of DMD make the fiber media a higher order
system. Based on some initial data we have seen, equalization
techniques can be successfully used to equalize the effects of DMD
on MMF.

It will be very useful to define the worst-case fiber characteristics
in terms of attenuation, order of roll-off, nulls, template, etc. Has
this
been specified and is it available for analysis. Please let me know if
this information is available.

Equalization can be done at the transmitter (pre-emphasis) which
will require sending the coefficients of the fiber link from the
receiver to the transmitter during initialization. While this has other
complications, it also complicates the process on initialization/
auto-negotiation.

The preferred approach would be to do Equalization at the receiver
(as in 100 Base-TX and 1000 Base-T). The receiver initializes itself
during start-up and configures its coeffients commensurate to the
attached link. This keeps the initialization/auto-negotiation relatively

simple. The receiver can be made to be continuously adaptive
so as to track out slow variations in the overall link.

Equalization could be the way of meeting all the distance objectives
and offering higher performance to the end-user.

Best Regards,

Abhijit Phanse

Principal Engineer, Network Products,
National Semiconductor