Re: Equalization

David,

In case you are inclined to infer that the references are rather old
and theoretical, here are more recent references on implementation
of Equalizers at 10 Gbps.  The technology described in these references
demonstrate feasibility of Equalizers for Serial PMD solutions on MMF.

H. Bülow, "Adaptive PMD Mitigation at 10 GB/s using an Electronic SiGe
Equaliser IC", European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC),
Nice France, September 1999, paper WeC3.4.

H. Bulow, F. Buchali, W. Baumert, R. Ballentin, T. Wehren, "PMD
mitigation at 10 Gbit/s using linear and nonlinear integrated electronic
equaliser circuits", Electronics Letters, vol.36, no.2, January 2000,
pp.163-164.

S. Kasturia,  J. H. Winters "Techniques for high-speed implementation of
nonlinear cancellation". IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,
vol.9, no.5, June 1991, pp.711-717.

There are a few more papers on Electronic Equalization in this years OFC
proceedings.

Thanks,

Sudeep Bhoja
Member of Technical Staff, High Speed Physical Layer, Lucent Technologies.
Phone: 408-952-8824
Email: sbhoja@xxxxxxxxxx

David Kabal wrote:

 Oscar and Vipul:Thanks for the education and clarification. I have some reading to do.... 8-)It is interesting to note that a good portion of the references given (optical ones, anyhow) are 10 years old. I am not sure what to infer from this, but it is interesting, anyhow.Cheers,Dave-----
David Kabal
Photonics Engineer, OPTera Metro Solutions, Nortel Networks
Phone: 613.270.5953  Fax: 613.591.2035