From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 7:54 PM
To: HSSG
Subject: Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Jonathan,

I absolutely agree with you about the advantages of having the same primitive
link protocol, components, measurement and compliance techniques, etc. be
applicable to Ethernet, Fibre Channel, InfiniBand, OIF, proprietary backplane,
etc. applications.

Boaz,

As I pointed out in a prior note on this thread, lane-to-lane deskew CANNOT be
performed with the SOP column, and therefore, with LSS columns since there the
spacing of the alignment reference is less than the maximum lane-to-lane skew in
some environments. The specific environment which breaks your suggestion is 1550
WDM with its large lane-to-lane skew. Please consider the following:

8B/10B encoded stream at transmitter:

.....KRLRRKRLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRRR.....
.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
.....KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....

8B/10B encoded stream at receiver:

KRLRRKRLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRRR................
...........KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
...........KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR.....
..KRDRRKRDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRRR..............

My question to you is how the receiver is supposed to align to/deskew if it is
using either LSS or packet data columns, even consecutive columns? Since the
receiver starts out with no lane sync and with lanes significantly skewed, what
is the receivers reference point (i.e. which code-groups in each lane at the
receiver are related)? Note that the same problem exists in the absence of LSS
words, rendering LSS an orthogonal issue to lane-to-lane deskew.

The simple and accepted P802.3ae /A/ spacing proposal solves this problem by
providing a minimum guaranteed /A/ column spacing. This minimum /A/ spacing is
flexible and can easily accommodate the maximum skew of any proposed PMD. Using
/A/ columns (extending the spacing to 32 min), the 8B/10B encoded stream at
receiver would look something like this:

KRLRRARLKSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRSDDDDDDDTKRLKRAR................
...........KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR.....
...........KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR.....
..KRDRRARDKDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDDDDDDDDKKRDKRAR..............

Note that there is NO ambiguity as to which code-groups in each lane are related
(i.e. were simultaneously transmitted) even in the presence of LSS and standard
minimum size Ethernet packets.

Please tell me if there is a flaw in my logic somewhere because I am anxious fix
it if there is. I'm also very interested to any simplifications to the P802.3ae
baseline proposals which work.

Best Regards,
Rich