Re: WIS overhead - G1 RDI-P field

Erik,

Please see my comments below.

Regards,
Norival

At 10:49 AM 7/20/00 -0400, Trounce, Erik wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I've noticed that the RDI-P field of the G1 overhead byte
>is still undefined in the latest WIS update.
><http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/figueira_1_0700.pdf>

The RDI field is completely defined in the definition by cross-reference.

>However, the WIS update document does state in the Cross-References
>section (on page 38) that ERDI-P is supported.  ANSI T1.416-1999
>references ANSI T1.105-1995 which defines ERDI-P in Table 9 on
>page 38.  Some questions:
>
>1. will 802.3ae use the ERDI-P as defined by Table 9?

ERDI-P is defined as implied by the cross-reference to
ANSI T1.416-1999.

>2. will LCD-P be used for anything (e.g. indicate loss of PCS codeword
>delineation)?

The current proposal keeps WIS and PCS issues as separate as
possible. The WIS manages only its "WAN connection."

>3. will 802.3ae equipment have to support RDI-P as well as ERDI-P?

The 10GE WAN PHY communicates ONLY to another 10GE WAN PHY. Therefore,
it only needs to support one type, i.e., the one we define (ERDI-P).

>As currently defined, all ERDI-P would be used for is detecting
>far-end PLM-P, AIS-P and LOP-P.  Are any enhancements envisioned?

No. We do not want to create new definitions. This is exactly the
idea behind a definition by cross-reference.

>Cheers,
>Erik Trounce
>Nortel Networks

Norival Figueira, Ph.D.