Re: A Question about "Inter Packet Gap and SOP Lane alignment"

Ben,

You're absolutely correct about the format of a XAUI or the 8B/10B PCS
column containing a /T/. Specifically, that the general format of this
EOP column is: TKKK, DTKK, DDTK or DDDT. However, my point was that the
/T/ and EOP is only ever used to terminate an Ethernet packet and is
completely independent of LSS. I was afraid that Sanjeev Mahalawat was
implying with his question that an EOP must follow an LSS message. It
should be clear that this is not the case.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

"Brown, Ben [BAY:NHBED:DS48]" wrote:

> > An LSS message encoded over either XAUI or the 8B/10B PCS has the
> > general format LDDD. LSS messages are standalone in an Idle stream and
> > are completely independent of /T/. /T/ is always associated with an EOP
> > delimiter and has the general format TDDD. Think of LSS messages as
> > "primitives" rather than "mini-frames".
>
> Shouldn't this be TKKK, DTKK, DDTK or DDDT?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Benjamin Brown
> Router Products Division
> Nortel Networks
> 1 Bedford Farms,
> Kilton Road
> Bedford, NH 03110
> 603-629-3027 - Work
> 603-624-4382 - Fax
> bebrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com