RE: Equalization

Vipul,

Not a punishment, just something I've been noodling over and wasn't sure if
we were ready to ask.

Specifically, I have been curious about the potential for the DMD response
(assumes no launch control) to be non-deterministic. In short, what happens
to that thing we used to call "modal noise" in a DMD-sensitive system?

It seems likely that a simple experiment could be created if one had a BERT,
Scope, LX transceiver, and a spool of the "bad DMD fiber" to see if the
general shape of the pulse into the Rx would change under various types of
"abuse." I'm not talking about dynamic changes like wrapping it around a
mandrel or anything that would not be "typical" in an installed
infrastructure. Just fiber blowing in the wind, the temperature of the Tx
changing... stuff like that.

Now, you could argue that these types of things would be "random" in nature.
Even so, if the response of the system to these changes is significantly
non-linear, then the effect could end up unmanageable. I hope otherwise.

jonathan