RE: Equalization

Larry,

A multimode fiber carries numerous modes, or solutions to Maxwell's
Equations, if you will. Modes of a multimode fiber couple energy
among each other due to a variety of factors, including temperature
and vibrations affecting the alignment of interconnections and
transmit assembly. Also, the output of a laser can exhibit changes
in the energy distribution of its modes. It stands to reason that
the problem will be less severe if you restrict the launch to a
small subgroup of modes. If I understood Gair correctly, he was
pointing out that techniques like Encircled Flux launch reduce this
time-variance sufficiently to allow us to approximate the impulse
response as time-invariant. I haven't seen the evidence, but it
seems reasonable, so I accept his point.

Vipul

<snip>