From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of ghiasi
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 12:30 PM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx; wthirion@xxxxxxxxxxxx;
SwansonSE@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ali.Ghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Equalization

Hi Steve

Steve Swanson wrote:

> Walt,
>
> The right ones to include are:
> 850 Serial
> 850 CWDM
> 1310 Serial
> 1310 CWDM
> 1550 Serial

I am not sure Steve what criteria you are using to determine the right ones!
Specially when you have left the lowest cost parallel optics out.

I certainly can see if you want to support 300m at least on existing
fiber for the backbone the choices would be:

1300CWDM
1310 Serial
1550 Serial

In addition the standard should consider lower cost variants to support
data center with maximum distance of 100m using standard fibers.  A user
can always implement high bandwidth fiber if he wishes.  Below you will
find suitable link choices for data centers:

Serial 850 - difficult to reach 100m on standard fiber
850 CWDM - Too early to judge
Parallel Optics - Lowest xcvr cost but long cables are expensive

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Sun Microsystems

> The standard could move forward very efficiently - no debate over
objectives,
no debate over band-aids, no debate over how many, etc. My recommendation to
the
committee is to support these PMDs in the standard. Individual companies and
customers can then decide whether to support all of them, none of them, or
some
number in between. The standard sets expectations in the marketplace and
encumbers noone. All of these PMDs have what I call "a critical level of
support" on both sides - customers AND vendors. In this case, it is better
at
this point in time to include rather than exclude.