RE: Equalization

HI Ed

<wthirion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <SwansonSE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: Equalization
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:07:43 -0400
>

> Ghiasi:
>
> The 3-PMD you chose was the set rejected by 802.3 in La Jolla by only
> getting 57% yes vote, and the parallel optics of 4-fibers failed by only
> getting 38% yes vote
Not bad for being added to the PMD vote just before the vote was taken.

.... 75% yes vote is required.

> If you propose the same thing again, we will be stuck there with only
> 1550/1310 serial PMDs forever.
>
> There are other choices which have much higher approval rate than those you
> have chosen.

Can you elaborate what these other PMD choices are?

> Please come up with more creative solutions, acceptable by 75% voters to
> help all HSSG including Sun to resolve the PMD issue.

the creative way to move forward is to define two low cost variant for
data center applications with 100 m reach, then add the 1300 nm CWDM
to support 300m.  The data center market is very significant and will
keep the short-wave people happy help getting more vote.

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi

Sun Microsystems