Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Chris Simoneaux wrote on July 31:

> Roy,
> Nice piece of info.  It is worthwhile to finally get an installer/end user
> perspective of the environment that 10GbE will exist in.  If one believes
> your analysis (and I haven't seen any contradictions), then it would seem
> quite reasonable to expect a PMD objective which covers the 2~20m
> space.....i.e 66% of the initial market.
>
> Would you agree?

I wonder what would be cheaper for a few meters distance:
an optical link (laser+fiber+photodetector+TIA) or a plain  XAUI
extender using cat-6 unshielded twisted-pair Copper cable.
Notice that a XAUI extender uses separate traces (or wire)
for transmitter and receiver. Hence, we do not have to deal
with "echo cancellers", so these Copper transceivers should
be doable.

Jaime E. Kardontchik
Micro Linear
San Jose, CA 95131