Re: Optical Connectors

To all,

As a user, I would like to focus the discussions.

Having a large number of connector options is only beneficial in that it
should allow for the "best" solution to rise to prominence.  From my
perspective this has already occurred, at least for the current round of
small form factor offerings.

For non small form factor connectors, the SC is obviously the connector.

For small form factor connectors, the LC and the MT-RJ are the leading
connectors.

You can argue about what the benefits of any of the designs are, but the
reality is that only the LC and the MT-RJ seem to be capturing the bulk
of the market.  I have seen no market reports that dispute this
position, or that predict this will change over time.

I would note that between the three connectors (SC, LC, and MT-RJ), I
believe that a complete solution set exists for all customer
requirements, in particular,

	1.  Installed plant compatibility - SC
	2.  Small footprint - LC and MT-RJ
	3.  Optical performance - I'll just say the three should encompass this
one
	4.  Cost - all are cost effective
	5.  Install flexibility - SC and LC are factory or field installable
	6.  High density capability - MT-RJ

and the list goes on for whatever attributes you want to include.

I think this group should seriously consider acknowledging the state of
the market.  Inclusion of these connectors as preferred within the
standard will help focus both the customers and suppliers and ultimately
reduce costs for all.

Gair

--
Naval Surface Warfare Center