Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

I agree with Jaime that a simple XAUI extender with appropriate cables and
connectors could provide the lowest cost solutions for the 2~20m range.  Such a
solution is being pursued in the Fiber Channel T11.2 committee.

Bharat Tailor
Gennum Corporation

"Kardontchik.Jaime" wrote:

> Chris Simoneaux wrote on July 31:
>
> > Roy,
> > Nice piece of info.  It is worthwhile to finally get an installer/end user
> > perspective of the environment that 10GbE will exist in.  If one believes
> > your analysis (and I haven't seen any contradictions), then it would seem
> > quite reasonable to expect a PMD objective which covers the 2~20m
> > space.....i.e 66% of the initial market.
> >
> > Would you agree?
> >

> I wonder what would be cheaper for a few meters distance:
> an optical link (laser+fiber+photodetector+TIA) or a plain  XAUI
> extender using cat-6 unshielded twisted-pair Copper cable.
> Notice that a XAUI extender uses separate traces (or wire)
> for transmitter and receiver. Hence, we do not have to deal
> with "echo cancellers", so these Copper transceivers should
> be doable.
>
> Jaime E. Kardontchik
> Micro Linear
> San Jose, CA 95131

begin:vcard
n:Tailor;Bharat
tel;fax:(905)632-5946
tel;work:(905)632-2999, X3340
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.gennum.com
org:Gennum Corporation;Datacom ICs
adr:;;P.O. Box 489, Station A;Burlington;Ontario;L7R-3Y3;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:bharat_t@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Senior Product Manager
fn:Bharat Tailor