Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Roy,

I believe that Chris Diminico did an excellent job of clarifying the two
MMF objectives in his recent note to this reflector:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10G_study/email/msg03164.html. That
note provides the following clarifications:

Installed MMF – MMF as referenced in 802.3z

MMF – Either installed MMF or the Next Generation MMF fiber
specifications

There have been no objections to Chris's clarification. I fully support
these clarifications. I don't understand the purpose of any discussion
regarding exactly "how" the objectives were worded the way they are. The
fact is that the wording stands unless a change is agree to by 75% of
802.3 voters.

Any objections?

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Chris,
>
> In the discussions about what could be achieved and what the various known
> applications were, based on the traditional use of Ethernet, the question
> was raise about whether MMF could support 10GbE.  There was even the
> question of installed fiber and the issue of older "gofer bait" MMF
> fiber.  I could be wrong, but my perception is that one of the fiber
> company people stated that the older MMF should be able to support 10Gb for
> the lateral 100m traditional lengths, and the traditional riser or 300m
> could be supported by the newer MMF.  The word "installed" was inserted in
> the motion proposal only, it was not agreed on by the people of the Ad Hoc.
> At the time that the 300m motion that included the word "installed" was put
> before the group, I remember thinking that this was not what was agreed on
> by the distance Ad Hoc, and of course it was very quickly corrected.  What
> was left ambiguous was that the words "new multi-mode fiber" was trimmed to
> be only "multi-mode fiber".  At least that is the way that I remember it.
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum
>
> At 11:09 AM 8/2/00 -0600, Chris Simoneaux wrote:
>
> >Roy,
> >I would curious to know who made/implied promises of 850nm serial
> >implementation @ 10Gbps over 100m of installed fiber.
> >
> >My understanding (and I wasn't part of the meetings when the objectives were
> >developed, so correct me if I'm wrong) was that there was little or no
> >representation from the 850 serial PMD guys.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Chris

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com