Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Paul,

As I pointed out in e-mail to Jonathan, for completeness, we need to simply
state all of the relevant application spaces and associated distances in
order
to address the applicability of the current set of distance objectives.

Although the ISO/IEC 11801-1995-07-15 provides a recommendations for
equipment cable lengths, the distance is implementation specific i.e.,
equipment
 cable is a cable connecting equipment to a distributor (such, as patch
panels..etc).

- ISO/IEC 11801 equipment cable - equipment cables is a cable
connecting equipment to a distributor (such, as patch panels..etc).

+++Length -  It is strongly recommended that the lengths of the equipment
  cable used in the building distributor (BD) or campus distributor (CD) be
  less than 30 meters in length.

Please Note:- Equipment cable lengths are application specific and their
length  should be
identified in the context of their usage.

To move the general debate on the application-spaces distance-objectives
further,
I offer that the HSSG has at least four distinct 10 Gb/s application spaces.

++++The four distinct 10 Gb/s application spaces.

1. Generic cabling for customer premises- ISO/IEC- ISO/IEC 11801 -

2. Data Center-

3. Central Office

4. Equipment Room

I have challenged myself  to provide the HSSG substantive information on the
cabling lengths associated with each distinct 10 Gb/s application space. The
customer
premise cabling lengths are complete (by survey and reference); the rest is
in progress.

Input from Roy Bynum, Mike Bennet and Corey McCormick have been invaluable.

Regards,

Chris Di Minico
Cable Design Technologies (CDT) Corporation
Director of Network Systems Technology
Phone: 800-422-9961 ext:333
e-mail: cd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx