4-8b/10b encoders or 1?

Hi Rich,
    I was not sure how 8B/10B encoding is to be done for the XAUI interface.
Please refer to your presentation from the July 00 plenary:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/jul00/taborek_2_0700.pdf

Going from the XGMII interface to the XAUI interface, which (if any) of the
following
is correct?

Option 1: The 32 data bits are converted to a byte stream, then fed to the
8B/10B
encoder. The output of the 8B/10B encoder is then spread across the 4 XAUI
lanes, starting with lane 0.

XGMII[31:24], XGMII[23:16], XGMII[15:8], XGMII[7:0]   // 32 bit XAUI i/f
                   \                                  /
                     ---------------------------------

                            XGMII[31:24]           // data muxed into a byte
stream
                            XGMIII[23:16]
                            XGMII[15:8]
                            XGMII[7:0]

                                8B / 10 B encoder

                      __________________
                   /                                   \
     EOUT[9:0], EOUT[9:0], EOUT[9:0], EOUT[9:0]   // 10 bit output of encoder

   // striped across 4 lanes
           |                  |                    |                  |
     XAUI Lane 3  XAUI Lane 2   XAUI Lane 1   XAUI Lane 0

Option 2: The 4 bytes of the XGMII interface are sent to 4 separate 8B/10B
 encoders (conceptually), each operating on one of the 4 bytes.
The output of each 8B/10B encoder is then sent to one of the 4 XAUI lanes.

    XGMII[32:24]     XGMII[23:16]     XGMII[15:8]     XGMII[7:0]  // the
XGMII interface
            |                      |                      |

       8B/10B            8B/10B             8B/10B            8B/10B   // 4
separate encoders

    XAUI Lane 3        XAUI Lane 2      XAUI Lane 1     XAUI Lane 0

 I believe Option 2 results in better 0-1 distribution per lane. My
appologies if this has already been clarified before.
Regards,

Satish Sathe
Ample Communications, Inc.
4034 Clipper Court,