Re: 1300 nm VCSELs

Mike,

I think that the suggested price differential between
edge and surface emitters is profoundly misunderstood.
At ~1M devices, if someone were to give the dice away,
the total dollar svings would barely make it into two
digits, be it VCSEL, F-P, or DFB. The cost of fibre
coupling the devices, particularly into smf, is
generally greater than that of the device. If people
are waiting for a "magic bullet" component, they're
going to have a long wait.

I'd also take announcements of 1.3u VCSEL's which are
almost ready for prime time with a grain of salt.
We've had another pumped part which has been almost
there for a year.

Jay

http://www.novacrystals.com/about_us_press_press_08012000.html