RE: XGMII Clocks

HI Howard and Curt

I would agree with Curt on the SSTL2 vs HSTL levels.  Several month
ago I also wrote about the same topics.

About 3 years when I and Dave Gample started the FC HSPI group
bases for 2.5 Gig SerDes with SSTL2. Even then I was debating between
HSTL and STTL2.  At the time HSTL would require another power supply
and most SerDes where Bipolar and ASIC were base on 0.35 um CMOS.
Three years ago we probably made the right decision and  we have the legacy
today.  But, I am not sure choosing SSTL2 would be right decision today.

As long as the XGMII interface is internal to your ASIC, then it does not
matter what logic family we define. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend moving
forward with time and specifying HSTL instead of SSTL2.  I would also help write
the interface.

Thanks,

Ali