RE: PMD Equalization

To: Those members of P802.3ae who have information about fiber
design and manufacturing.

Please help me understand some issues.

1. If I look at all the singlemode fiber in the ground today, is it
fair to say that they can be put into two buckets - one with low PMD
of about 0.1 ps/sqrt(km), and one with high PMD, say, several times
larger? If yes, how much bigger is one bucket compared to the other?

2. Do those buckets correlate with dates of shipment - say, after
1992 and before 1992?

3. Do those buckets correlate with application - say, Undersea cable
and Metro/Access fiber?

4. Using 0.5 ps/sqrt(km) as an example, can I interpret it to be the
standard deviation of a distribution, therefore the peak-to-peak
value may be several times higher? If this were a Gaussian
distribution (I know it's not), I would then take 7 times sigma =
3.5 ps/sqrt(km) as its peak-to-peak value. Therefore, for a 49
kilometer link, the PMD peak-to-peak value will be 3.5*sqrt(49) =
24.5 ps. Is my understanding correct?

5. In some fiber data sheets, I see a note that says: "...fiber
specification supports emerging network design requirements for a
0.5 psec/sqrt(km) maximum PMD." Where is this design requirement
documented?

Thanks,
Vipul

vipul.bhatt@xxxxxxxxxxx