Re: Proposal: XGMII = XBI+

Title: Re: Proposal: XGMII = XBI+

Curt, who is Roger?  :) My responses to your points are contained below:

>Hi Shawn and Roger,
>I strongly disagree with your preference for LVDS, for following reasons:
>
>- Going to 625 MHz signaling, is pushing todays technology
>  TOO far. Beyond what is possible to design with simple
>  ASIC or FPGA methodology and tools. PHY designer are used to complex clock
>  recovery, training sequences, active deskew, complex SPICE simulations,
>  and other tricks. ASIC, and FPGA designers, are use to Synthesis, STA,with
>  some SPICE work to verify I/O timing. 625MHz would make it WAY
>  to complicated for what is needed, and would require a methodology
>  beyond what most ASIC/FPGA designers have today.

Actually, we are talking about 312.5Mhz data signaling with a 625Mhz clock.  I agree 625Mhz data signalling may be a bit over the top, for some.  Still, at 312.5Mhz data signaling has been done for a number of years is common in telecom systems.

>- Using a impedance controlled HSTL driver, will not consume much more
>  power then and LVDS. Say you have 6 inch trace, 50 ohm source impedance,
>  1.5V VDDQ. The driver will be on until reflection comes back,
>  with an approximate round trip of 2ns. If you have 50 ohm trace and
>  50% switching, which is random data patteren, driver when on will
>  have 0.75 V drop across it, so power consuption is
>  (0.75^2/50)*(2/3.2 *(50/100)= 3.52 mW/signal.
>  For an interface with 37 drivers this would be 130 mW/interface !

Your suggested implementation addresses lower power and reduced component count over SSTL.  However, your implementation derives it's power savings from not having receive termination thus no static power by requiring source termination, via controlled impedance drivers.  My understanding is most ASIC providers do not have controlled impedance drivers (or if they do, they are not well controlled) forcing all or part of the line termination resistance to be done externally, i.e. adding components.  And if you receive terminate rather than allow reflections, you burn power and add more components.

Most LVDS drivers are commonly available with integrated line termination because the static power is so small.

>- Again,  if you use a impedance controller HSTL drivers, you need NO
>  external components. No LVDS advantage !

Again, controlled impedance drivers are not common and the one I'm aware likely burns more power than what you calculate above.

>- Just because HSTL is speced in the standard, doesn't mean you have
>  only one option. If you design your parts to have some flexibility,
>  you can future proof, and support 1.8V, HSTL=1.5 V, and 1.2 V signaling.
>  Driver receivers can easily designed to support some extended voltage
>  range. However I strongly suggest this to be left to
>  the implementors, or standard will be too complex.

I agree a receiver circuit can be made to work over a some range of supplies with control of Vref.  Still, we don't see a single ended high speed I/O that is truly supply independent.  HSTL is a JEDEC spec for 1.5v supplies.

LVDS is supply independent for a wide range of supply voltages.  When supplies gets too low for LVDS common mode, we can tweak it in the same way you are suggesting for HSTL.

>- Swithing a few signals on my line card from single ended to differential
>  to lower EMI, when I have around 10,000-20,000 other signals, mostly
>  single ended does not seem basis for switching to differencial signaling.

Don't worry about EMI?  Can I quote you on this? :)