RE: XAUI AC coupling

Rich,

If mine is twisted, yours is a full double helix :-) Let me demonstrate.

If the cap is not required and can be proven so by not proving otherwise, we
must have specified a set of logic levels that guarantees that there is
little or no common mode offset between chips. Why not, then, specify a cap
and ask to have someone prove that the common mode offset specification is
required? Can't prove it? Then we should reject a 0.75 common mode voltage.
Sound absurd? I agree.

Please note, I am not taking a position on the choice. I don't feel
qualified to do so. There are many reading this that are much more qualified
that I (we?).

The point is that you win an argument by first establishing the assumptions.
I, for one, have not YET accepted yours.

So, a few questions for those "in the know:"
1. What is the impact of this decision on parts that operate at different
voltages and use different technologies (e.g. a "MAC Chip and a WDM
Transceiver")? Yes, I reject the assumption that these could and should use
the same technology.
2. What is the impact of this decision on low jitter design?
3. What is the impact of this decision on EMI generation at the board level?
4. What is the impact of this decision on signal integrity?
5. What is the impact of the ground differentials common between high power
boards in a system?
6. What else am I forgetting to ask?

jonathan