RE: XAUI AC coupling

Rich,

Let's see if we can refine the question, in the hope of making progress.

We do have some common ground: If a PHY module is going to be purchased
by a switch manufacturer, it will likely end up as a pluggable or
solderable module, at the XAUI interface. To manage the multiple
buyer-supplier scenarios, it is best to use AC coupling. If, however, a
PHY module is going to be integrated by the switch manufacturer on a
single board, then XAUI becomes the switch manufacturer's internal design
responsibility, and they should have the freedom to choose DC or AC
coupling. Just as it would be wrong to burden a pluggable module with
mandated DC coupling, it would be wrong to burden an integrated single
board design with mandated AC coupling.

Beyond this common ground, where we go from here becomes an interesting
choice. One approach would be to leave the coupling issue to the
implementers. Another approach would be to say, the popular purpose of
XAUI is to allow easy separation of switch and PHY module
responsibilities, and to allow the implementation of pluggable or
solderable PHY modules. To help achieve that purpose in a bullet-proof
fashion, we should mandate AC coupling. This is the "majority gets its
way" approach. At the moment, I favor the second approach. To make
further progress, it will help to know what others think.

Regards,
Vipul

vipul.bhatt@xxxxxxxxxxx
(408)542-4113