Re: XAUI AC coupling

Hi Tom,

I agree with the consideration, that IF we are to standardize a
DC coupled interface, then it is required to also spec the levels.
I think my main concern is that as soon as you do this, you will
open a Pandora's box of technologies that do not interoperate
at a DC level, but work fine when AC-coupled.  For my own part,
would love to specify DC lvels, just so long as they match up
with the DC-levels _I_ want.  If anything else goes in, escpecially
this late in the game, I'll be one of the first to scream restraint
of trade.

As stated earlier, I have no problem with allowing DC-coupling, but
I don't want it to be mandatory.  However, once you spec the levels
in the standard, you now have requirements that must be met.

-Ed Grivna

> All,
> 	I concur that it would be advantageous to support both AC and DC
> coupling. Maybe we have a section with AC coupling specs and a separate
> table for DC coupling specs. This would allow a vendor to be just AC
> compliant or just DC compliant or both. If we leave out the DC specs all
> together (respectfully disagreeing with my fellow Minnesotan) than I
> don't think we have standardized anything for the DC coupled interfaces
> and we will not have interoperability.
>
> Tom
>

> Ed Grivna wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rich,
> >
> > I agree with the Dawson implementation; i.e., where capability for
> > AC-coupling is mandatory, and you CAN DC-couple if both ends
> > will support it.
> >
> > But in that regard, I don't believe it apporpriate to add ANY
> > DC-level numbers to the standard for XAUI signaling, not even as
> > a guideline.  This places the responsibility on the implementer
> > (where it always belongs) to ensure that the devices they choose
> > will support DC-coupling (if they wish to implement it).
> >
> > The other place I find a minor dissagrement is with your statement
> > that if both ends of the link are made by the same manufacturer
> > that a DC-coupled link will generally be possible.  This is not
> > necessarily the case, especially when CML drivers are used.  These
> > switch very close to the power rail, and are not generally positioned
> > in the middle of the common mode operating range of the receiver.
> > While a DC-coupled connection MAY work, it is not optimal.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ed Grivna
> > Cypress Semiconductor
> >

> > > All,
> > >
> > > By my count, I have 4 votes for allowing XAUI DC-coupling against 0
> > > votes for requiring only AC-coupling. The 4 votes are:
> > >
> > > Ed Grivna - Cypress
> > > Dawson Kesling - Intel
> > > Jeff Porter - Motorola
> > > Rich Taborek - nSerial