Re: Quick 64b/66b question

David,

We can easily calculate the probability for bad packet acceptance as:
The no. of min sized packets in 125us  ~ 2^11.
Probability of falsely accepting atleast one of them in a bad link ~ 1 -
(1-2^-32)^(2^11)
~ 2^-21
So probability of accepting a bad packet at startup = 2^-21 * probability
of bad link at
startup.

All this probably  doesnt matter since the link initialization at the
MAC ends
might take atleast 20ms (if not more)
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/sep00/muller_1_0900.pdf

In any case, I have no problem - other than having to  simulate longer -
with having the hi_ber start off high and wait  for 125us before asserting
sync_done = true.

Regards,
Birdy