Re: XAUI receiver characteristics

Hi Anne

I have seen lots of traffic on the jitter issue.  The XAUI jitter
specification
was derived based on the FC Jitter Methodology (WWW.t11.org) and
originally came
from SONET.  I believe lots of the discussion here would be answered if
you are
willing to read some FC Jitter Methodology spec. which is some 100
pages.

I am going to briefly describe the methodology Below

Total jitter = DJ + 1Sigma (Random Jitter)

Deterministic Jittere has several component: ISI, reflection, Periodic
Jitter,
and Sinusoidal Jitter.

In addition we need to specify the corner frequency for the PLL, based
on
FC and SONET the corner frequency would 3125/1667 = 1.875 MHz.  Having
the
corner frequency actually reduces the jitter burden as it would scale
low frequency jitter.  In addition you need to test the receiver for
jitter
tolerance.

Eye diagram does shows basic behavior of the signal, but it can't
guarantee BER 1E-12 compliance.  Eye diagram is a good tool to view and
give you
an accurate measurement of your high frequency jitter such as ISI, but
it will
underestimates random jitter. Other method such as BERT, TIA, or
golden PLL can be used to measure more accurately.  These technique
already take in to account bit movement and shrinkage.  I do agree
none of the above methods are trivial for working link.

Good Luck

Ali Ghiasi
Newport Comunnication/Broadcom