RE: Clause 33 (MDC/MDIO) questions

Ed,

Based on your responses to my earlier comments in regard to the address
register, I
thought you were going to change the description of how the addressing
worked to
make the following principles clear:

  There is an address stored in the device.

  Once an address frame has been received by a device, that address stays in
the device
  until another address frame to the device overwrites it or an increment
  frame increments it (or possibly the chip is reset - we didn't discuss
that).
  Then the newly written address or the incremented value of the address
takes its
  place.

  The address is not changed by address operations to other devices sharing
the
  MDIO.

Once that has been explained, saying "It is recommended that the address
frame is followed by its
associated write, ..." seems unnecessary and confusing. After all, it
clearly doesn't work
for the write or read to precede the address frame. Once the address frame
has written the
address, bunches of writes and reads may occur to that and following
registers without
an intervening write.

I recommend deleting the sentence.

Regards,