RE: Requests for password to the protected site.

As somebody who only participates via e-mail (mostly reading the
discussions, and seldom posting) please let me also voice my support of
Howard's and Bruce's position.

As a working engineer laboring in the design trenches, I don't have the time
-- or the charter from my management -- to fly around the world attending
standards meetings.  Nonetheless, keeping current with the progress of the
standards bodies is crucial to my own work.  Consequently, I must rely on
the e-mail reflector (and the web) to keep current with evolving standards.

Larger companies can afford to pay a person (or even a small group of
people) to participate full time with the standards bodies.  Small companies
-- where much of the innovation in networking actually occurs -- often
cannot devote a person to this full time.  Furthermore, I believe strongly
that the person actually doing the designs is the person who should be
keeping track of the standard.  If the actual designer is in contact with
the standards process, two benefits occur:

1.  The standards are based on the designer's practical knowledge, which is
closely tied to actual implementation.

2.  The technologies being standardized are implemented faster 'cause the
designer is in touch with the standard.

The IEEE is often criticized as being a club for academics, and of little
relevance to the "real" engineer.  Providing open access to draft standards
for working engineers is one way in which the IEEE can help support the
community of electronics designers and working engineers.

Thanks for your consideration.

Stuart Brorson
Axiowave Networks
Marlborough, MA