RE: Option to use 63 Fixed Stuff columns for payload

Gary:

I concur with David's assessment for the need for continued compatibility
between SDH and SONET wrt the fixed stuff bytes in columns 30 and 59 of the
STS-1 frame. (See T1X1.5/2000-193 "Revised Draft T105 SONET Base Standard"
ftp://ftp.t1.org/pub/t1x1/2000x15/0x151930.doc).

I think you are mistaken about the connection of these stuff bytes and
virtual concatenation. They in fact have nothing to do with the
implementation virtual concatenation at all. High order virtual
concatenation (defined for STS-1 and STS-3c) in SONET embeds its control
overhead in a multiframe that is created from the H4 byte of the POH.
Sequence numbering, group identification, frame numbers etc. all are sourced
from this H4 generated multiframe.

For more details on virtual concatenation please see the document cited
above.

Regards,

Nevin R. Jones
Lucent Microelectronics