RE: Link Status thoughts

Rich and others interested in working on a concensus proposal,

I'll be arriving about 7 PM on Sunday (if the flights run on
schedule). Meeting part of Monday morning (I do have one
short matter to attend to at the Exec meeting) or Monday after
802.3 would be possible or late Sunday.

These Link Status emails seem to be getting longer and longer.
I'll try to be brief this time.

I don't see any need for a "listen before you speak" rule when
coming out of reset. The concern if such a rule is put in is
that one has to get into how long to listen before deciding the
you are hearing nothing, etc. It's simpler to have the rule be
"if you are getting good signal in send Idle, otherwise send RF."

I agree with you that Remote Fault, Local Fault and Idle are
a sufficient signalling set. I don't see a need for a Break Link
meaning a signal to indicate the device is resetting or to reset
the partner.

The 8B/10B PCS Sequence protocol that you show below looks to me
like an EMI problem. If you send randomized signal half the time
and a repeating signal half the time, the spectum should only be
about 3 dB down from sending repeating signal all the time. Randomized
idle represented an improvement of about 20 dB over repeating
sequence idles. Sending the PCS sequence protocol for too long
would throw most of that gain away. There other ways to send the
codes that would preserve the EMI gains.

Pat