Link Status encodings

Pat,

I was actually working on this per request from Ben Brown. I'd like to
discuss agreements reached in Tampa followed by proposed criteria for
code selections and then should all encodings for all interfaces. Please
note that I was developing the /K/D/D/D/ structure "on-the-fly" in Tampa
and acknowledge several inconsistencies as you point out. I apologize
for the errors.

Agreements reached in Tampa from taborek_2_1100:
- Leveraging 10GFC Signal Ordered-Set
- Same Format As Start Delimiter: /K/D/D/D/
- RS Alternates Signal With Idle Continuously
- 8b/10b Continuous Signal after every ||A||
- Recognized Upon 3 Consecutive Signal Occurrences
- 8b/10b, 64b/66B, XGMII, XSBI, SUPI, WIS, etc. Compatibility

Proposed criteria for code selection:

1) The proposed protocol neither matches 10GFC Signal nor Sequence
protocol. 10GFC Signal is signaled once, at any time during Idle.
Sequence is signaled continuously and alternatively with Idle and is
mutually exclusive with frame transmission. Therefore, it should be a
third Ordered-Set type, I'll call it Pulse for lack of a better name for
the moment. Please feel free to submit your choice of name.

2) The choice of value of /K/ should not conflict with values chosen for
any other Ordered-Set or the Start Delimiter. This leaves out
/K28.7/=Start, /K28.2/=FC Signal and /K28.6/=FC Sequence. To prevent
confusion with all other Ordered-Sets used by 10GE, the value of /K/ for
Pulse should also not use: /K28.5/=/K/, /K28.0/=/R/, /K28.3/=/A/,
/K29.7/=/T/ and /K30.7/=/E/. Please note that the /K28.6/=FC Sequence is
new for 10GFC and is a change from the baseline proposal.

I'd like to propose /K28.4/ to identify the Pulse Ordered-Set. It's
really a toss up between /K28.4/ and /K23.7/. Both codes are balanced,
allowing them to be added or removed from a 10-bit stream without
affecting the running disparity of the stream (e.g. can replace an /R/
if need be). Please note that the same must be true of all data codes
code the Pulse Ordered-Set to achieve full functionality. /K28.4/ comes
first in the list, so my choice is /K28.4/ and is a code previously
reserved for LSS in walker_1_0700.

3) The choice of data codes need not satisfy any hamming distance
requirements if the rule requiring the recognition of 3 successive Pulse
Ordered-Sets is observed.

For data codes, I'd like to be as simple as possible. Given that the
Pulse Ordered-Set can be denoted as /K28.6/D2/D2/D3/,
I propose the following encodings for D1 through D3:

D1 - x'00' --|
D2 - x'00' --V-> Fault Message
D3 - bits 0-5: Reserved for future use (e.g. bit 5 = Break Link, etc.)
     bit 6: Remote Fault
     bit 7: Local Fault

Encodings for all interfaces:

|      |       |       |           |  64b/66b  |
| Lane | XGMII | XGMII | 8b/10b or | 10GBASE-R |
|  ID  | T/RXC | T/RXD | 10GBASE-X |    x/y    |
+------+-------+-------+-----------+-----------+
|  0   |   1   | 0x9c  |   K28.4   |  0b0000   |
|  1   |   0   | 0x00  |    D0.0   |    N/A    |
|  2   |   0   | 0x00  |    D0.0   |    N/A    |
|  3   |   0   | 0x0n  |    Dn.0   |    N/A    |

Notes:

1) The data value in lane 3 represents all possible encodings of the RF
and LF bits. Since these bits are mutually exclusive, the applicable
values are 0b00, 0b01 and 0b10.

2) x/y locations are illustrated in walker_1_0700 slide 19. Other values
reserved for x/y are as follows:
   0b1111 for FC Signal
   0b0101 for FC Sequence

3) Complete details on 64b/66b frames associated with Pulse, FC Signal
and FC Sequence Ordered-Sets are included in walker_1_0700 slide 19.

4) All encodings are transported transparently trhough the WIS, XSBI and
SUPI.

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com