Re: SUPI<>XAUI

I agree with and support Rich's proposed change to replace the scrambled based
SUPI interface with the 8b10b based XAUI  interface.  It makes sense to get rid if
an interface that has little support with an interface (XAUI) that is already
specified as an optional interface elsewhere in the standard. It is unfortunate
that at the Tampa Plenary the 802.3 voters rejected the motion to affirm the
motion passed in an earlier 802.3ae session to form an ad hoc committee to further
study Rich's  proposed change.

Rich's proposal did just come in under the wire for new ideas to be incorporated
into the standard and deserves to be considered.

Regards,

Larry Rennie

Rich Taborek wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Time to vent a little frustration over the events surrounding this issue
> at the Tampa meeting. At that meeting I presented a "XAUI as a SUPI
> Alternative" proposal to replace a PMA sublayer specific to only the
> WWDM WAN PHY with one employing a coding scheme significantly more
> prevalent to all PHY's. The presentation can be found at:
> http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/nov00/taborek_3_1100.pdf
>
> First of all I'd like to start out by re-iterating that the primary
> purpose of this proposal is to simplify the 10GE standard by using
> common sublayers and interfaces in multiple PHYs.
>
> Several administrative attempts were made to block the further
> development of the proposal including the following:
>
> 1) Perogative taken by the 802.3 chair to deem a motion to affirm a
> motion by the P802.3ae Task Force to form an ad hoc to further develop
> the proposal a technical, rather than procedural issue, thereby
> requiring approval of 75% of 802.3 voters. The resultant vote did not
> acquire the 75% needed to form the ad hoc. It should be noted that the
> P802.3ae Task Force approved a motion to form the ad hoc by more than
> 75%. I fully understand that the reason given by the chair to decide
> that the motion was technical was that the further development of the
> proposal involved technical changes in a parallel clause. However, since
> no technical change was implied or imminent in the motion in question, I
> strongly disagree with the decision to call the motion technical instead
> of procedural. It now appears that the 75% criteria applies to most
> procedural 802.3 motions as well as technical ones.
>
> 2) Reviewing the process of Task Force ad hoc formation, it appears that
> it is the chair's perogative to form an ad hoc and that approval by
> 802.3 voters of 75% or even 50% is not required. It appears that an ad
> hoc with significantly greater technical implications to P802.3ae, the
> Equalization ad hoc, was approved in New Orleans with no motion in the
> Task Force or elsewhere as far as I can tell from my recollection and
> formal minutes of that meeting. It appears that the same procedures
> should have applied to the formation of the XAUI/SUPI ad hoc. This
> applies to both Task Force and 802.3 motions related to this issue. I
> believe that the ad hoc should have been authorized by the chair after
> the straw poll taken prior to the Task Force motion to formally
> authorize the ad hoc.
>
> That said, I will go along with the chair's decisions and the will of
> the group. As I see it, I can still achieve the goal of the proposal by
> submitting a technical comment against Clause 53 during working group
> ballot. The suggested remedy would be additional WAN PMA specifications
> in Clause 48. However, I see a few problems with this strategy:
>
> 1) I have no interest to go this route alone without strong committee
> support. This statement is based on many factors including the apparent
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Rennie;Lawrence
tel;fax:818 880 5193
tel;work:818 880 2720
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:National Semiconductor Corporation;Networks Product Group
version:2.1
email;internet:larry.rennie@xxxxxxx
title:Principal Engineer-Enginering Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;27001 W. Agoura Rd.=0D=0ASuite 210;Calabasas;CA;91301;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;23232
fn:Lawrence  Rennie
end:vcard