From: pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 9:12 AM
To: bob.grow@xxxxxxxxx; stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: RUNT Packets

Bob,

The important point is that runts are not counted by MACs. The MIB
definition that Geoff provided is for aRunts which is a _repeater_ MIB
object. The MAC silently discards packets that are shorter than the minimum.
It has no counter for them. The counter update process,
LayerMgmtReceiveCounters, only runs when a packet that meets minimum packet
size is received. (See 4.2.9 for the MAC receiver and Table 30-1 for a
listing of MIB objects.)

Unless someone is proposing creating a new runt MIB object, runts do not
apply to 10 Gig Ethernet because we do not have repeaters.

Regards,
Pat