RE: XGMII New electrical Characteristics

I think that it is important to highlight what Jonathan said in his first
paragraph, especially considering this will be the first time many of the TF
members have ever submitted a ballot or a comment on an IEEE 802.3 proposed
standard.  A NO vote shall be accompanied by a TR (technical required)
comment; otherwise, we don't know how to change that NO vote into a YES
vote.  If you issue a TR comment, then you should vote NO on the draft, but
that is only a suggestion.  It is okay to vote NO on the draft, especially
if there is a technical change that you feel is required.

When you generate a TR comment, you shall provide a suggested remedy.
Absence of a suggested remedy leaves the resolution of the comment up to the
editors.  For example, you cannot have a TR comment like this:
Comment: XGMII not easy to design.
SuggRemedy: Change XGMII electricals.
TR comments like that will be rejected.  You must provide a remedy, and
remedies have been known to span more than one page.  The suggested remedy
must tell the editor exactly how to make the change.

We are editors; we are not the authors.  The TF is the author of the
document.  As the author, you are responsible the text you want to see in
the document.  As the editors, we are responsible for putting text in the
document as directed by the authors.

Thanks,
Brad

Editor-in-Chief, P802.3ae