RE: RESPONSE TO Re: SUPI<>XAUI

Rich,

First off, a motion to create an ad hoc to study something may be
procedural, but a motion authorizing creation of a draft is technical. Since
the motion in question was to create a parallel draft, Geoff was entirely
correct to consider it a technical motion.

Secondly, I want to give my view of what happened between the task force
vote on Wednesday and the 802.3 vote on Thursday. You characterized it
negatively as "politicking." I do not feel that is accurate and it certainly
is not a view that will move us toward resolving concerns about your
proposal.

The task force saw your proposal on Wednesday afternoon and, with the press
of many other matters to deal with, had very limited time to debate and vote
on the related motion. Certainly, the prospect of a change that makes PMD
operation virtually the same for 10GBASE-LX4 and 10GBASE-LW4 is attractive
to many of us. In our enthusiasm, many of us voted to go ahead with creating
a parallel draft despite some concerns about the proposal.

After sleeping on it, I had a number of concerns about what we had approved.

1) Completeness of proposal - The presentation really left a lot off details
to work out. It is significantly less complete than any of the proposals we
adopted in July. In New Orleans we voted hastily on some much more minor
matters without enough details worked out. Even the Link Fault proposal has
created some difficulty and it was significantly more complete. We need to
exercise the self-discipline of having complete proposals before we agree to
change drafts or create parallel drafts.

2) Timing and impact on the draft - The editors have a week and a half to
put the updates from Tampa into the draft so it can go out to task force
review. The discussion of the parallel draft said that it was to go out with
the draft for review. A number of the people who would be involved in
developing the parallel draft are also clause editors. I felt that trying to
create the parallel draft in the same time period would adversely affect the
quality of 2.0.

3) Approach of the proposal - While I'm supportive of the goal of making LX4
and LW4 look the same to the PMD, there are aspects of the particular
proposal that will make it very difficult to integrate into the draft and
into implementations. I believe there is another approach that would
accomplish the goal more effectively. Here are the problems:

a) Too many sublayers. The drawings on slides 5 through 8 of your
presentation make it look like your proposals have the same or fewer
sublayers than 10GBASE-LW4. However, they misrepresent the LW4 architecture.
"SUPI" is a misnomer. There is no SUPI interface and there are no "SS"
sublayers. The 10GBASE-LW4 PMA does the conversion between XSBI and the WWDM
PMA that was originally presented as SUPI. The correct representation of the
status quo for page 5 would show the XSBI going directly into a 10GBASE-LW4
PMA.

The proposal presented adds 2 sublayers to the existing 802.3ae 7-sublayer
physical layer stack. A seven sublayer phy is enough. For instance, we would
have to add additional XGXS device identifiers to MDIO.

b) While the proposal calls the new sublayers XGXS, they are different from
XGXS in a number of ways. To differentiate, I will call the new sublayers
XGXS'. XGXS can use a local clock to transmit the received data. Since these
XGXS' cannot add or delete idles, they must use the recovered clock to send
the received data. The upper XGXS' attaches to the 16 bit service interface
of the WIS while a normal XGXS attaches to XGMII. On transmit, the upper
XGXS' has to look for A1/A2 sequences to get frame lock and replace them
with AKR. The existing XGXS doesn't do such a task. By the time we are done,
we have just moved the problem of having two sublayers defined in one clause
that may require separate implementations from the PMD to the XGXS. The
change in clocking requirements is non-trivial for implementation and for
jitter specs.

c) A likely implementation of a 10GBASE-W interface is a board with an XSBI
interface to a transceiver module. With the current spec such an
implementation can support both serial PMA/PMD and LW4 PMA/PMD modules. With
your proposal, the interface is likely to be XAUI for LW4 while it remains
XSBI for serial. Thus it becomes difficult to support both with one
interface plus a plug-in module.

d) To support implementation, we will either need to have WIS chips with
XAUI interfaces in addition to WIS chips with XSBI interfaces or we will
need to have XGXS chips with XSBI interfaces in place of XGMII interfaces.
Once again, we are moving the problem of having extra components from the
one place to another but not solving it.

d) We already have adequate means of fault signaling for WIS frames and in
the WIS frame payload. There is no need to add yet another mode of fault
signalling for an 8B/10B encoded WIS.

The alternate proposal:
Define an LW4 PMA with an upper service interface of XSBI and a lower
service interface that attaches to the WWDM PMD. Like the current LW4 PMA,
on transmit this PMA would look for A1/A2 sequences to get frame lock.
Unlike the current PMA, it would replace those sequences with AKR and would
send the rest of the frame as 8B/10B coded data. On receive, it would use
the K's and A's to get alignment and deskew the lanes. It would replace the
AKR with A1/A2.

This proposal is a much more modest change to the spec. It would mean one
sublayer, the PMA, was unique to 10GBASE-LW4 which is the minimum. In the
existing spec the PMA and PMD are unique to LW4. In your proposal, The upper
and lower XGXS' sublayers are unique to LW4 and are different from each
other. It keeps a consistant interface between WIS and PMAs.

Regards,
Pat