RE: RESPONSE TO Re: SUPI<>XAUI

All (please),

Regarding Rich Taborek's comment: "As I said in a previous note on this
issue, I'm not interested in pursuing this matter further since I see no
business case for the 10GBASE-LW4 PHY."

I consider this to be a very significant challenge and would like to hear
any counter-assertions.

I believe that it is in the spirit of the 5 criteria to question SIGNIFICANT
elements of the draft (the work of the task force). Specificially, I would
like to know if there is "Broad Market Potential" for the 10GBASE-LW4 port
type.

Another "back door" way of asking this question is: does anyone intend to
demonstrate this solution? Please remember that our 5 criteria has the
following requirement listed for technical feasibility: "10 Gb/s Ethernet
technology will be demonstrated during the course of the project, prior to
the completion of the sponsor ballot."

Yes, I recognize that 10GBASE-LW4, from a purely, technical feasibility
perspective, can probably be answered based on existence proofs for OC-48,
10GBASE-LX4, and related technologies. But, that is not the point here.

This question should probably be posed for each port type, and ultimately
will. But, for now, I would like to focus on 10GBASE-LW4. Is there broad
market support for 10GBASE-LW4? This is not the same as asking if
10GBASE-LW4 is a good idea. No chad, please. :-)

jonathan

p.s. Regarding the rest of this thread, for now, I am holding my tounge.