RE: I/F locations

Paul, Rich

It does seem that the standard achieves the mythical UNIPHY for the Serial
PMD.  Achieving that for the WWDM PMD is possible but something has to give.

My two cents on the matter are that both approaches (XAUI for the WAN W4,
SUPI for the LAN X4) are technically feasible and not that difficult to
define.  What has to give is:

XAUI for WAN:  the likely implementation of a 64b/66b PCS/WIS chip for the
serial PMD would not be usable for the WWDM WAN PHY ... this would require
vendors to supply another version of the PSC/WIS chip with the XAUI
interface to the PMD.

SUPI for LAN: the LAN X4 would have to bear the additional cost of requiring
the PCS/WIS chip (modified over the existing standard to support the
insertion of A1/A2's into the 10Gb/s data stream and the resultant rate
increase).

Not clear to me which approach wins.  I'd characterize the SUPI for LAN
solution as offering the greatest opportunities for re-use and economies of
scale while the XAUI for WAN preserves what appears to be the simplest PHY
of the lot ... the currently defined LAN X4 in which the the DTE XGS can
attach directly to the PMD.

Excuse my naivity but, in immersing myself in this stuff, the question did
occur to me, what use do any of the WAN PHYs provide if they can't
interoperate with the existing SONET infrastructure?  I came up with
1)existing SONET software and knowhow could be adapted to control and
monitor a 10G-W network, 2) existing OC-192 transceiver modules can now also
support 10G-W (this argument doesn't fly in the WWDM case) and 3) even
though the standard doesn't address interoperability, it will enable the
market to create it.  Other than that, it seems analagous to putting one's
mail in a pre-paid Express Mail envelope and then putting that in a pre-paid
FedEx envelope ... you can do it but ...

Ted Speers
Strategic Marketing
Actel