Re: XSBI: cls51 PCS output timing

Justin,

I asked my apps engineer and looked in the OIF document that the XSBI
was based on.  The numbers look reasonable.  The only thing I question
is why have a difference between the PCS output and PMA output.

- Board traces can be long.  Customers will push the limit.
  We have seen 15 inches used.  Board trace on the system board,
  board trace on a module.  If you delay the clock by trace, this
  also adds ~5" trace length.  There is variability between layers
  which makes for skew.  With +/- 10% FR4, the skew is about 15% in
  time which could be 350+ ps.

- clock jitter (175 ps according to the specification)

- connector will add noise, crosstalk, and skew.  (50-100ps)

- clock duty cycle if inverting the clock. (160ps with 40/60 duty cycle)

Total board skew could be 350+175+100+160=785ps by inverting the clock.
Total board skew with etch delay could be 350+175+100=625ps.

With VERY optimistic numbers (5" clock delay+ 2.5" trace delay)
and not inverting the clock:
175+175+100=450ps.

Getting board skew to 600ps can be a challenge depending on your
situation.  Especially in production.

/Brian Cruikshank