RE: Comma Characters

Rich,

The 1000BASE-X protocol is designed to make almost all the commas it emits
be comma+. As you can see from the following passage from 36.2.4.12, the
first idle at the end of a packet restores the disparity to negative and all
following idles end with negative disparity:

The /I1/ordered_set is defined such that the running disparity at the end of
the transmitted /I1/is opposite that of the beginning running disparity. The
/I2/ordered_set is defined such that the running disparity at the end of the
transmitted /I2/is the same as the beginning running disparity. The first
/I/following a packet or Configuration ordered_set restores the current
positive or negative running disparity to a negative value. All subsequent
/I/s are /I2/to ensure negative ending running disparity.

So, the first K28.5 after a packet may contain comma- or comma+, but all the
rest will be comma-. While sending configuration ordered sets, the K28.5s
will alternate between odd and even but that won't be true during idle.
Since sync is suppose to be able to be reacquired without going into
configuration, a SERDES has to be able to lock on comma+ but isn't
necessarily required to acquire lock on comma-. As 26.2.4.9 states, the
1000BASE-X coding is designed to ensure that comma+ is transmitted with
equivalent or greater frequency than comma-.

When we are sending idles and are between A's and not sending any ordered
sets, our K28.5 disparity will alternate and we will have a 50/50 mix of
comma+ and comma-. Still we are less heavy in comma+ and we should mention
that difference.

Pat